One of the basic causes of diabetes type 2 is a low sensitivity of glucose to insulin. It will not effectively lower the glucose level even during the excessive amount of insulin, however it can cause hypoglycemia from time to time.
A medical product Actoplus Met is indicated for the effective treatment of diabetes type 2, and does not contain insulin. The mechanism of the action consists in the increase of the sensitivity of glucose to insulin and a reduction of the produced glucose in liver. It does not cause a development of hypoglycemia and is a completely safe medicine for most patients.
The pharmacological action of Actoplus Met happens due to the increased utilization of glucose in the fatty tissue, muscles, and liver. The body tissues begin to actively consume glycogen making a constant glucose deficit. As a result, a stable daily glucose deficit causes a reduction of the glucose level in the blood up to the optimal rates.
Metformin not only stimulates an improvement of the glucose metabolism but also favors a decrease of the excessive weight. It is able to lower the level of cholesterol LDL and triglycerides, and helps to lose weight more actively.
As Actoplus Met contains two active ingredients at once, the therapeutic effects develops intensively. The medicine begins to act in a day after the use of the first pill. The action quickly develops but does not cause a sudden change of the glucose level in the blood in order to avoid the side effects.
The pharmacological action of Actoplus Met is kept within entire treatment. After the end of the medicine administration, the production of glucose is completely restored in 1-2 weeks, and the sugar level in the blood can be increased again.
Directions for the use
Actoplus Met is prescribed for the treatment and prevention of diabetes type 2 in patients with obesity.
Usage and dosage
Actoplus Met is released in the pills which should be used orally, 1-2 times per day. The pills are taken during or right after meals, with a half glass of water.
A variety of the medical doses helps to select the optimal dosage regimen for every medical case. One pill can contain:
- Pioglitazone 15 mg + metformin 500 mg
- Pioglitazone 15 mg + metformin 850 mg
- Pioglitazone 15 mg + metformin 1000 mg
- Pioglitazone30mg + metformin 1000 mg
The dose is selected individually depending on the rates of the glucose level in the blood and sensitivity of glucose to insulin.
- The treatment should be started from the minimal dose of Actoplus Met 15 mg/500 mg 2 times per day (in the morning and evening)
- If this dose is not enough, the dose of Actoplus Met can be increased up to 15/1000 mg 2 times per day in 2-3 weeks
- It is pointless to take more than 30 mg Pioglitazone and 2000 metformin because it will not give better therapeutic effect
In case of using Actoplus Met with insulin, the medicine should be used in minimally effective dose because the high doses can cause hypoglycemia.
Contraindications for the use
- Severe kidney disease, liver
- Exacerbation of chronic diseases of the circulatory system
- Type 1 diabetes
- Acute myocardial infarction
- hypocaloric diet
- lactic acidosis