Amoxicillin: What Is It?
It is a broad spectrum penicillin that inhibits the growth of bacteria by inhibiting bacterial cell wall synthesis. It is usually the drug of choice within the class because it is better absorbed, following oral administration, than other β-lactam antibiotics.
Spectrum of activity
It is active against gram positive and gram negative organism is such as,
- Bacillus subtilis
- Haemophilus influenzae
Following organisms have developed resistant to amoxicillin;
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Staphylococcus aureus
Pharmacokinetics of Amoxicillin
- It is well absorbed after oral administration.
- Presence of food in the gut does not interfere with the absorption of amoxicillin.
- Peale plasma concentration is achieved within 1-2 hrs.
- It is partially metabolized to inactive metabolites.
- Inactive metabolites and unchanged drug is excreted in urine.
Dosages forms available
It is available in the forms of;
- Oral liquids
Therapeutic uses of amoxicillin
It is used in the treatment of;
- Urinary tract infection
- Otitis media
- Streptococcal pharyngitis
- Chlamydia infections
- Lyme disease
- Endocarditis prophylaxis
- Dental abscesses
- Acne vulgaris
Adverse effects of amoxicillin
Most common adverse effects are;
- Renal dysfunction
- Behavioral changes sore in mouth
- Stomach pain
- Swollen tongue
- Dark urine
- Hemolytic anemia
- Abdominal pain
Drug interactions of amoxicillin
- Sulfonamide may diminish the bactericidal effects of amoxicillin, when administered together.
- Use of amoxicillin with allopurinol may increases the incident of rashes.
- Methotrexate may interfere with the effects of amoxicillin when given together.
Contraindications of amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is contraindicated in the individuals with the history of;
- Allergic to amoxicillin
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
Storage of amoxicillin
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
- It should be stored in a cool, dry place and away from sunlight.
- Liquid form of this medicine should be stored in a refrigerator.
Where to buy Amoxicillin?
Buying Amoxicillin used to be hard and required a lot of time and efforts. First of all, you had to go to a doctor for a prescription, no matter how you feel. Antibiotics are for sale by a prescription within the territory of the USA and many countries of EU. But due to the development of the electronic commerce, it is easier to buy Amoxicillin now. Buying Amoxicillin online is not new to citizens of the USA.
“According to the statistics, about 24-27% of population in the USA and Canada regularly order medicines on the Internet”