Augmentin is an antimicrobial medical product for the systemic application. This antibiotic shows bactericidal action as to pathogenic microorganisms, and effectively destroys their cellular structure.
An effective antimicrobial action is achieved by means of the multi-agent content of Augmentin. This antibiotic contains the active ingredient Amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
Amoxicillin is a semi-synthetic antibiotic which belongs to the group of penicillin. It has a broad spectrum action and copes with most popular infections. However, it is affected by beta-lactamase, and therefore its antibacterial activity does not affect microorganisms produced beta-lactamase.
Clavulanic acid prevents a destruction of amoxicillin and blocks beta-lastamase due to which a high efficiency of the antimicrobial action of Augmentin is kept.
The active ingredients of Augmentin are not accumulated in any organ; it is evenly spread through the tissues and liquids binding to the cells of bacteria in the equal parts.
Directions for the use of Augmentin
Augmentin is indicated for the use during the infectious diseases caused by pathogenic microorganisms sensitive to amoxicillin:
- Infections affecting the upper and lower airways, and organs: ear, nose and throat
- Infections affecting the genitourinary tract
- Gynaecological infections
- Infections of the oral mucosa
- infections affecting the skin and soft tissues
- Infections affecting the bone.
One tablet of Augmentin can contain:
- 250 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid
- 500 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid
- 875 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid
The dosage is selected individually after diagnosing an originator of the infection and severity of the disease.
- Treating infectious processes in the respiratory tracts, skin, HENT, a minimal dose of Augmentin 375 mg is prescribed (250 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid) 3 times per day
- Treating infections of the urinary tract, gynecological infections, bone tissue, the maximal dose of Augmentin 1000 mg is prescribed (875 mg amoxicillin + 125 mg clavulanic acid) 2-3 times per day
- Children under 10 years are recommended to use the minimal dose of Augmentin
How to take Augmentin?
The tablets of Augmentin should be used before eating. It will help to improve the uptake of the active ingredients from the gastro-intestinal tract and reduce the probability of the side effects in the digestion organs.
Every tablet is taken with a full glass of water. If a patient cannot swallow the entire tablet, it is broken. Both parts of the tablets are taken.
Patients with kidneys diseases are recommended to adjust the daily dose. The length of the treatment with Augmentin is 7-14 days depending on the type of the infection and efficiency of the antimicrobial therapy.
Side effects of Augmentin
The most common side effects appear because of Augmentin: candidiasis of mucosa of mouth, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.
The side effects in the gastro-intestinal tract often appear during the use of the tablets on an empty stomach. In case of the weak side effects, the adjustment of the dose and scheme of the treatment is not needed.
If you noticed allergic reaction (skin itching, urticaria, allergic edema) during the use of Augmentin, the treatment should be stopped. Seek for a medical aid.