What is prozac ?
Prozac is a medicine used for the treatment of the depressive states which are accompanied by the permanent anxiety and fear. It contains the active ingredient Fluoxetine, one of the most effective antidepressants of the new generation on the pharmaceutical market.
The mechanism of the action of Prozac consists in the highly selective serotonin reuptake inhibition. This is a biologically active substance which regulates many processes in the brain and central nervous system. A serotonin deficit influences on the psycho-emotional state of the patient and can cause depression but it can also cause somatic disorders such as migraine.
Prozac significantly enhances the serotonin level and improves a psychological health of the patient. The medicine lowers anxiety, tension, and fear, and helps to return an interest to life.
Fluoxetine almost does not bind to other types of the receptors, and therefore it is better tolerated. For example, it does not bind to dopamine, andrenergic, cholinergic and histamine receptors. Unlike antidepressants with a broad spectrum action, Prozac does not affect the work of the cardiovascular system, does not provide an intense psychostimulant action, does not cause sleepiness, restraint, and does not affect the blood pressure.
For patients, Prozac is an excellent product to treat and prevent depression because it has a low level of toxicity and is well tolerated. The pharmacological action develops gradually. The antidepressive effect of Prozac is felt in 2 weeks after the use of the tablets.
Fluoxetine is mainly excreted by kidneys, and therefore patients with kidney diseases, it is necessary to consult a doctor and lower the daily dose, if needed.
Directions for the use of Prozac
The antidepressant Prozac is prescribed patients with psycho-emotional disorders in the setting of the lowered serotonin level:
- Depressive disorder
- Anxious disorder
- Obsession (fear, anxiety, obsessive-compulsory disorders)
- Sleep disorder
- Dysfunction of digestion system in the setting of depression (bulimia, anorexia)
How to take Prozac?
- Patients are recommended to begin the treatment from the minimal dose of Prozac 20 mg per day for the symptomatic treatment of the depression
- The tablets are taken orally with water. It is better to take the medicine in the morning, after awakening
- If there is no therapeutic effect within 2-3 weeks, the dose can be increased and taken one tablet of Prozac 20 mg 2 times per day (in the morning and afternoon)
- If nervous bulimia, it is recommended to take one tablet of Prozac 20 mg 3 times per day (a general daily dose 60 mg)
- If obsessive-compulsory disorder, it is recommended to take 20 mg to 60 mg of Prozac per day
- The treatment is conducted till the complete arresting of the symptoms of the depressive/anxious disorder
A cancellation of Prozac is gradual by lowering the dose by 20 mg every week. A sudden cancellation of the medicine during the use of the high doses can cause a withdrawal syndrome and increased depression symptoms.
Patients with severe diseases of kidneys/liver should begin the treatment from the minimal daily dose of Prozac 10 mg.
In the setting of using Prozac patients can have some side effects: headache, irritation, dyspepsia, low libido, skin allergic reactions – rash, and itching. The side effects of Prozac are probable within the first 2-3 weeks of the use, and then they become weaker and completely pass.
In case of the overdose (using more than 80 mg of Prozac per day), the side effects can be increased and a medical intervention will be needed. The use of more than 80 mg Prozac per day is contraindicated.
The simultaneous use of Fluoxetine with MAO inhibitors can cause severe side effects, and therefore this interaction should be avoided for the safety of the patient.